Monday, September 12, 2005

Idol worship and the American middle class

No preaching here, just an observation.

The other day I was reading in the newspaper and I stumbled across an interesting article in the front page of the Living/Local section: a superstition on how to get your real-estate sold in a pinch.

It turns out, so they say, that St. Joseph isn't just the step-father of Christ or the Patron Saint of manual laborers, but he can also lead you to success on the property market. All you need to do is bury a 4 ft tall statue of St. Joseph upside down in your front yard next to the For Sale sign. As soon as the property is sold you display the statue in a prominent place in the yard.

Are you kidding? I'm not saying that it wouldn't work (ok, I am saying that it wouldn't work) but my point is that at its core, this is pagan superstition. Now, take no negative connotation from that phrase, I'm just noting that its very similar to Voodoo practices and other religions that many hard-working Christians (probably Catholics in this case) we would frown on. Not to mention that it breaks the first commandme no matter which denomination you ask. Idol worshipers masquerading as the American Middle class.

Also, we need to watch out bout this Katrina backlash. I think that it could create a precedent for the government to immediately absorb National Guard units ad take control of local governments in a "disaster situation". I'm not saying it's going to happen, I'm just saying that it could happen, and ultimately that would be dangerous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home