Saturday, July 30, 2005

You ain't got no alibi

You're Blogging, yea yea, you're Blogging.
Ah, I finally finished the Elementary Particles. It's only taken me 6 months, but I've finally done it. I really suck at reading sometimes. I mean I love, I truly love it, but I can have such a short attention span that I'll get halfway through a book and then start on something else until I come back to it. Luckily, my memory for such things has remained impeccable, even if it's slipped in other areas...
But anyway, I have to admit that it was brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. I won't spoil anything save to say that in the end it turned out exactly as I wanted it to. The revelation at the end wasn't so important to me as the actual development of the characters. It was depressing on some levels, but fulfilling. Houllenbec (sp, I'm too busy/lazy to bother looking it up) didn't cheat the reader at all. All characters ended up exactly where their actions took them and in all of their suffering they made several great points about the the human condition.
Now as for the ending. (There may be minor and major spoilers) This is aimed at those of you who've read it, and those that haven't need to so that you can debate it with me. I believe that it had the right idea. That is truly the only recourse for mankind if it wishes to better itself. However, I will have to disagree with the general neglect of spirituality and the generally communistic undertones of the solution. Still, perhaps its the right idea. The only problem of course in this solution is that ultimately I claim it will lead to genocide on someone's part and possibly the creation of a slave race. I don't believe that humanity can be responsible enough and the resolution was just a little too utopian. Either way, spirituality is not some stupid superstition brought about by an ignorant society to try and bring itslef together. Community is important, but there has to be the sense of the individual, the identity of self. If these things are lost then we are lost; especially if some lose identity for the sake of others. Spirituality is meant to connect the sense of self with the sense of community, this much Houllenbeq (i still don't know if I'm spelling this right) was right about, but it also connects the sense of self with the sense of environment. That is the true purpose of spirituality, to connect with the roots, with the system: to feel life around you and in you. A manufactured species might lose this connection with life. They might not feel the connection with the natural and venture in the dangerous world of technology worship. Technology is now their god and it is an unforgiving deity. It cares not for the obsolete and it has no love for the weak. All technology loves is the new...the strong...the smart...the powerful. What is morality in the age of technology? What is morality in the age of community? Truly if one can put the community above one's own sense of self, then morality should win out. But is there a morality of nature as well? In a species that can produce itself ad infinitum does it need to care of its responsibility to nature? Once again, the Universe is no longer connected with it. They were made by a distinct purpose. Is such purpose good for a species? Does it answer questions or just create more, unanswerable ones. I think that the author could tackle a beautiful array of poignant social issues in a book focusing on the the child race, but that is not for me to decide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home